The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. - Matthew 23:11-12
Manna Ministry is a long term regular evangelistic local outreach programme to meet the needs of the poor in Hong Kong. Currently it has 9 main activities :
- Soup Van: Weekly visit to cubical homes and low income families in Mongkok, Shum Shui Po and Sheung Wan, providing essential food items, soups and God's love for the needy, making Manna mobile.
- Food Co-op: Providing low cost food items for the people in the Kwun Tong, Ngau Tau Kok, and Kowloon Bay area, expanding Manna's impact in Hong Kong. Manna is also able to minister to the members enrolled into this programme.
- Monthly food distribution: 260 elderly and underprivileged families come to collect food packs at the church.
- Monthly home visitations: 60 single elderly folks are visited. This is a long-term exercise to visit the lonely and the neglected.
- Weekly food packs distribution: Manna distributes food packs in the North Point area. We also sponsor rice supplies to two Christian NGOs for providing regular food packs to the greater part of Kowloon and New Territories.
- Emergency relief fund: Providing short-term and one-off financial aid to families whose income is lost because of abandonment, sickness or death.
- Bursary Programme: Manna is providing scholarships to more than 80 underprivileged students from two local schools each year. Manna wants to encourage them to reach their potential, so that they can find the talents that God has given them. We are hoping to reach out to these students as well as their parents.
- English Interest Classes: We started the programme in March 2011 in Mongkok with one class for 8‐10 years old kids. It has now grown to six classes with 80 students from primary to secondary school children to single mothers.
- Evangelistic Events: Annual Pun Choi, Noah's Ark, Qin Terracotta Warriors Exhibition, Yuen Long Outing, Family Portraits etc. All these activities are followed with a meal where testimonies and a short sermon is shared.
Manna Ministry is not a program to exchange food for religion. We aim to show love and care to the needy so that they can see Jesus in us. We pray that through our labour of love, we will break the chains of poverty and eventually be able to share the good news of Jesus Christ.
The Manna Committee seeks the Lord in everything that we do. We believe in the importance of humility, total dependence and complete submission in serving for the glory of His Kingdom. We seek the Lord; for His ways are always higher and better.
Manna Ministry works closely with our Cantonese Congregation. We need to "shepherd" new believers. ICA Cantonese congregation run a Friday afternoon cell group for the elderly. Today they have grown to an attendance of 100 elderly visiting them every week. I believe this is just the beginning of God's work. We started feeding them for their physical needs and God has led us now to meet their Spiritual need. God is just so wonderful!
How do you know God is calling you to be part of Manna? It always starts with a heavy burden in your heart. First you must offer yourself to be a willing servant for His Kingdom’s sake. He will plant that burden in you. Be salt and light. God does not look at your capability; He looks at your availability.
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” - Matthew 9:36-38
Trust in the Lord,
Manna Ministry Head